Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Homemother

Originally Posted by MikkiG View Post
Okay that is it!!!!! I want to do a Bargello!! That is beautiful!!! Can u suggest one that is easy to start with?
Ummmm....I cannot suggest one because I always make up my own. What you can do, though, is start with a simple design of your own. So...do this:

1. Cut strips of different fabric about 2.5 to 3" or so in width (make them all the same width). Start with around 7 because too many and it becomes to hard to square up
2. sew the strips of fabric together
3. then, sew the last one to the first one so you have a tube (saves time if you do this)
4. take your ruler and cut the tube into different sized widths (you may have to square up a few times, I always do)
5. then, on your first tube take the seam out one seam and lay it out
6. on the next strip, take out the seam on the next color down and lay it beside the first
7. keep going until you have all the strips laid out
8. you can see your bargello wave and you will love it
9. sew them all together, add some batting and a backing and quilt it
10. Waaa laaa! You have your first bargello! Use it as a table runner or the throw on the back of a chair

Let me know if you do it!!! You can get into more complicated patterns once you understand the principle of making one. I didn't know any better and jumped in with a design I made up that took a little more planning and patience. I think they are FUN FUN FUN to make!!!