View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
nstitches4u

Originally Posted by QuiltingByCourtney View Post
So I am quilting a quilt for a gal, she made back in like 99 and its super pretty but I am thinking they may not make this backing print anymore for material. Anyway, I knew it was going to be tight as far as her backing size fitting the top..............as I measured and remeasured....agh my greatest fear...I am at the bottom now and the backing is 5inches too short!!!!!!!!!!! I want to die, I emailed her and am praying she has more of that backing laying around her house she can sew on, but with my luck she won't and will have to cut the bottom border shorter...at this point it makes me never want to quilt for someone again...the only other option is take what few inches are left along the edges, trim that off and sew it onto the bottom backing, then reload it and finish quilting....and this was a bear paw queen size pattern that she had me do SID on and it took forever now this!

Has this ever happened to anyone? Please tell me I'm not the only one! :'''''-(
I feel your pain! I just got my long arm about 4 week ago. The first quilt (fortunately it was a small quilt!) I put on it after my practice sessions on plain fabric sandwiches was going great. I was so proud of myself. I was ready to finish the last of the quilt and Oh No! Plenty of batting, but the backing was 2 inches too short. After threatening to throw it away and never quilt another quilt, I calmed down and took it off the machine and sewed a strip of the backing fabric on the bottom---Fortunately, I had a little extra backing fabric! I made a label with the new name---A Comedy of Errors---my name and date. I will keep it so that I can look back and laugh. I'm just glad it was mine and not someone else's quilt. That is why I won't quilt for anyone else. Maybe the customer can find some fabric that will add character to the back of her quilt. Good luck!