View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I changed my view of how non quilters react to my quilts. I was given a gift by an artist friend of one her paintings. The painting was excellent but I did not like the subject of the painting at all. I appreciate the thought and effort and I know for her it was a very personal gift to give. Every time I see the painting I feel bad because I don't like it. I think of this painting when I think about giving a quilting item as a gift.
This is so true! And it is also the reason I won't start giving quilts to my family "on every occasion" just because I happen to have them already made. They will need to express that this is the one that they want. Otherwise....it is very possible it won't be appreciated/kept.

I read a long time ago in a book by Amy Daczyzn ?? spelling ?? who wrote the Tightwad Gazette that she said that the decorator items she had in her home that she disliked the MOST were things that were given to her as gifts but she felt like she needed to keep them. At that time I realized how true this is, how personal decorating is and I decided to try NOT to give decorator items for someone else unless they let me know exactly what they wanted. This includes quilts.