View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 AM
jlarke

Default Thanks for this info

Originally Posted by lfty298 View Post
Hi Bebe -
I think I remember 2 also - one on the president's bed or maybe a wall hanging? the 2nd - much clearer, was on Thaddeus Stevens' bed. That was pretty simple - Ohio Stars arranged as 9 patches and then each large 9 patch (of stars and plain blocks) were separated by wide sashing. It looked like it was kind of silky fabric - and maybe more of a comforter than an actual quilt - but I can be wrong on that memory. I am thinking of making that quilt too. I looked online to see if there was any collection of Stevens' possession. His house and office in Lancaster Pa are preserved - but there are no interior pictures that I could find.
And I have a question. I am reading Elizabeth Keckley's autobiography (available free on Google Books) and she mentions her system of dress making several times. Does anyone know what she is referring to? I wonder if she was working on standardized patterns? Also, no mention of sewing machines. I know they were pretty wide spread by the turn of the century - but I thought they were in use much earlier in the 1800's.
Lefty
Just downloaded this book Thanks.