View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Wunder-Mar

(1) Here's what I did to add batting to the quilt while eliminating the double-thickness-of-batting bulk in the fold-over portion of the block.

I cut the lightest-weight interfacing (probably a Pellon product) into circles the same size as the four-patch circles. I sewed the interfacing and 4P circles together with the right side of the 4P touching one side of the interfacing. When the pair is sewn, the interfacing is slit and the unit is turned out and finger-pressed.

I then cut my white fabric (like what's shown in the centers of the block of the quilt you like so much) into the correct sized squares, then cut fusible batting into the same sized squares.

With the interfacing side up, and the inside seams of the 4P perfectly aligned in north-south-west-east, I placed the fusible batting square in the center, and then the white fabric on top of the fusible batting square - and pressed the unit together.

The sides of the white center square are now the pinning and stitching line and the unit is ready to GO.

(2) I made a summer-weight quilt using this method using no batting and the lightest-weight fusible interfacing I could find. I pinned the right side of the 4P circle touching the fusible side of the interfacing; when the circle is turned inside-out the fusible side of the interfacing is OUT (facing you). I used a mini-iron to fuse the center white square to the interfacing being careful not to go outside the fabric of the square. After pinning and sewing several units together, I pressed open the seams ... and at the same time, fused the foldover flaps into place for me to do the final stitch-down of the flaps. I was able to stitch down large sections of the quilt at a time. It was wonderful not getting stuck with pins.

Last edited by Wunder-Mar; 04-14-2013 at 06:42 AM.