View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i've used many different techniques for labels-
the information i generally include on labels are:
name of quilt, name of pattern/designer if i used a commercial pattern,
whom or occassion i made it (if it's a gift or special occassion quilt)
date (month & year) my name, city & state
materials & care instructions...such as (100% cotton; or 100% cotton top &backing, Polyester batting; or what ever) sometimes i write alot- if it's a special occassion or special gift i want to include more about-
if it's a sale quilt and i do not know where it's going i might only include name, design info-if it's someone else's design; date, my name, city, state, materials & care.
as for how the labels are made-
there are pre-made labels that can be purchased by the yard- which you simply fill in the blanks on with a pigma permenent pen (thimbleberries are the ones i have)
there are books (joannes has a couple different ones) that have a variety of labels, designs, sizes, occassions- that are (transfers) you iron them onto the fabric- then again-fill in the blanks
i've printed many of my own designed ones onto fabric with the help of my computer & printer,
i've written right on a few quilts
i've made some embroidered labels.
every quilt gets a label- how it's made & what size/design it is depends on the quilt
sometimes i make a special block for the back of the quilt- which is the label-
i've even made the label as part of the front of a quilt or two, making it part of the design.

there are plenty of ways to go about it-