Thread: Denim Quilt?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
MacThayer

I made a denim quilt. I also used some thick drapery fabric with it for accent. I found that using bigger square or rectangles made it easier to both cut and sew. Electric scissors do a great job of cutting the fabric; you'll wear your arm out trying to hand-cut or rotary cut these thick fabrics. I used a larger seam: 0.5 inch, and found that easier to sew with. Then I pressed my seams open so they wouldn't be so thick. I also used a thin batting, which padded the seams and made them significantly less obvious. And I put cotton on the back, so it wouldn't be so heavy. I was able to give it a light FMQ by using a needle meant for leather. Basically, I stitched down the seams (outlined each patch) and left it at that. My nephew snitched it to use when he went to college in the upper peninsula of Michigan, and kept it for graduate school in Wyoming, and now won't give it back. Lol! Not that I mind. He says it's the warmest, most comfortable piece of bedding he owns, and almost indestructible! He even takes it camping with him.
Attached Thumbnails images.jpeg