View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Rose_P

Material Witness, your description of the cabinet without drawers seems as if it could be like the parlor cabinet with my mom's 1949 Kenmore. There was a chair that had a large drawer fitted under it that opened to the side, where it would be reachable without getting up from the seat. The back of the chair fit closely into the cabinet, with the back designed to look like a stack of 3 drawers, grooved and with drawer pulls where they would be if they really were drawers. It had a beautiful mahogany finish, and really looked just like a small chest of drawers when closed. I have missed that machine, which was given to my SIL in 1969 because by that time my parents had gifted me with a new White zigzag machine and I clearly didn't need the old one. The SIL divorced my brother after 5 years, but I think she still has that machine! I learned to sew on that old Kenmore as a kid, and at the time had nothing to compare it to, but it gave me no problems. If I found one like it - with the complete cabinet - I would buy it, but without the chair the cabinet wouldn't look very nice. Still, $15 for the machine - not bad. My mom's crinkle finish was brown, so maybe this isn't the same machine, but probably close. The sad thing is that someone at the thrift store may have tagged the odd looking chair separately not realizing it went with that machine. It might be worthwhile going back for a closer look at their stuff. Can't imagine anyone would want the chair alone.