View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Pamela M

I would google sewing.patternreview.com and click on the sewing machines heading (they have different things they run, sewing tips or patterns etc). People write in and review their sewing machines and you get a good idea. A few years ago I wanted a new machine ( my old Elna was 34 years old) and I looked at lots of new machines.... decided I didn't want embroidery but wanted a good regular machine, and thought I may pick Brand X....Found this website, the pattern review one and I realised that I would have bought a 'lemon', apparently the Brand X was so unreliable considering the cost, that they had a fault that was a constant headache to the sewists and dealers were so vital to ones satisfaction or unsatisfaction, once a problem was found to be a big problem, that the reviewers experiences were vital to read how they got on, and what the dealers could do or not do as the case evolved. I changed my pick and on their recommendations bought a Janome 6600P. This was in 2008, and it has been a delight... They are not making this particular model now, they have a 7700 and an 8900 after that one I think, but this website will help you figure out what you want... I thought initially it would be from people who worked for the companies or something but they are genuine sewists who you can tell they are experienced and know what they are complaining about, or praising with their Pros and Cons. Hope this helps.