View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM
fireworkslover

No matter what machine you use fmq takes practice and lots of it. Drawing your design first on paper or a dry mark board or preview plastic are all ways to get the design into your muscle memory, so when you get to your machine it comes automatically. Using a practice sandwich of a fq or 1/2 yard really does make a huge difference in what your stitches look like. I didn't do this until recently and have been fmq for 10 yrs. It DID make a difference and to the good. Plus do your trial on the practice sandwich to test your tension, types of thread, needle size, etc. If it messes up, you don't need to rip it. I've also found my machine just doesn't like some kinds of thread and no matter what I change to try to make it work, it doesn't. Eyelashing on the back is not a tension issue, usually, but not coordinating the movement of the fabric with the speed you're sewing. So in other words, you're moving the fabric too fast in relation to the speed you are stitching. I also highly suggest watching Leah Day on her website. She explains all of this plus you can watch free videos of her stitching hundreds of stitches. You can find her at daystyledesigns.com or the freemotionquilting project.com.