View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 AM
NannyPat

I have a friend who has an embroidery-only machine, so when she goes to a class that requires piecing as well as embroidery, she has to haul 2 machines.
I have the combo...the Janome 12000 and I adore it! I considered getting the Bernina 830, but found in my research that it is a lot heavier than this Janome, and hauling it would have been difficult for me. They are both excellent machines. It all depends on what you intend to use them for. I wanted a larger throat to do machine quilting with the built-in feather stitches and other quilting patterns other than FMQ, and both Bernina and Janome have that 11.5 or 12 inch throat. I also have the Bernina 730 and like it a lot, too. The Janome is easier to use for machine embroidery. I use my Singer Featherweight to take to quilting groups where we are only doing patchwork. It's a jewel of a working hoss!
Spend your money....but decide what you want first. Do you have a friend close by who has one of these machines? Ask if you can play with it before you purchase. Most LQS owners will let you stay and play in their shops to decide what you like best. Make sure they offer classes for all the wonderful features of their products.
Above all, have fun!