View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Eyelets

Smile Janome and thread

I had been having real nightmares trying to FMQ on my Janome 6300. Bobbin washers really help. They seem to work well to prevent the bobbin backlash thing that makes thread break. A really experienced quilting friend suggested them to me when I was pulling out my hair over trying to FMQ a heavier flannel quilt. Bobbin washers and tension tweaking - do change your bobbin tension to a lighter setting and then work with your top and bottom tensions until your machine likes your thread. This doesn't always work out but reading here and on the forums at PR in the quilting section really helped me see that tweaking the tensions for different machines and threads is really something you have to do. I use a #14 Superior Topstitch needle always, and would go up to a 16 or even 18 is using heavier threads on flannel or something like that. I love Superior threads, but so far my machine prefers Maxi-Lock and also likes Superior Magnifico and So Fine. I am working on getting it to like the Masterpiece and King Tut - so we'll see.

Last edited by Eyelets; 05-16-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the machine I was using....