Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
foufymaus

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
...[sic]
6) Elna SU 62, in great shape but needs ongoing de-gunking and de-nicotine-ing from the heavy smoker who owned it previously.
...[sic]
Am insane? ;-) I guess we may all have a collector's streak in us. Okay, next I will try to send some photos of The Beast! :-)

-C.
#6 the Elna, have you tried contact cleaner? I've used it on my kenmore and that stuff is like magic on metal. I squirt the can in a continuous mode and quite literally all the gunk melts off. I like having a towel in place to catch run off.

When I got my first Kenmore she had sticky yellowed gunky oil inside on the main cam and there was bits of black goop in it. I sprayed the cleaner on it, lo and behold, the metal was shiny silver within moments. I tested it on a tiny corner to make sure it wouldn't kill the paint. And i avoided plastic because i was a bit worried but for the most part, magic in a can. if you're working with metal parts. They're like 4 bucks a can at walmart and auto parts store.

Also welcome! LOL i started with one Kenmore and now have a total of 3 Kenmores and one Singer <-- my newest one, which is in the process of de-gunking and fixing up. I'm about finished with my first quilt using my Kenmore 50 *dances* i'm excited.

Last edited by foufymaus; 05-29-2013 at 09:11 PM.