Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Rose_P

Default Enlarging the manual - an hour well spent

Yesterday I got an early birthday present from my DH: a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960! He didn't wait the 2 months until my actual birthday because this machine is on sale now. Because it was mail ordered, we needed to get it out and running to make sure it was okay. So far, so good!

It comes with a very well written and illustrated manual, but my eyes are getting old, and even if they weren't, bigger is always better in manuals. Also, there are a lot of pages in French and Spanish that I don't need. I copied the English part of it with my old all-in-one HP, set to "Fit to Page" and "Fast Print", and it came out great. On standard American typing sheets it's almost twice original size. Now I can keep the original manual in good condition and I have one that I can mark up. I plan to put it into sheet protectors in a binder. The back side of the pages can be used for notes or to glue on stitch samples or whatever. I will add index tabs to help me find certain things in a hurry.

The 9960 is much more complex than any machine I've ever used before. No matter how long I use a machine, it always seems that I need to get back to the manual if I'm doing something that I don't do often. I've made enlargements of other manuals over the years, and have never regretted the time it takes. Some of my manuals got pretty mangled with use before I figured this out (or even had a way to do it). So I hope this idea is helpful to others.