Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Nancy Ingham

There are enough free patterns available that I have never bought one.

I buy most items at thrift stores or yard sales: Magazines (like new, some with templates in them) 20-25 cents each; Quilting Books (only new or just like new and I review them for content) $1 - $2 each; Fabric (Only buy new or like new, 100% cotton and check for musty or cigarette odor) $1 - $2 a yard; Rulers, I never pay more than $5 each. I have also found needles, pins, bobbins, bobbin holders, storage bins and other supplies at yard sales. So I guess my answer to your question would have to be thread.

I check the newspaper weekly for yard sales in my area; sometimes they will say fabric, sewing supplies, etc., in their ad, sometimes not. The secret is getting out EARLY. I have been to yard sales where the woman is a quilter and needs to liquidate stock; is no longer quilting; and/or taught classes; had a shop or someone in her family had one; or other similar situations that have occurred either personally or with a family member (usually mother or grandmother). You can get great buys out there. I also frequent Salvation Army, Goodwill and St. Vincent DePaul weekly in our town. Last week my sister beat me in finding a beautiful homemade vintage quilt, in excellent condition for $1.80, yes I said one dollar and eighty cents, at Salvation Army. I really wish that I had taken a photo to share with you. So there really is not a need to spend a lot of money at our trade/craft unless you choose to do so.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nancy Ingham; 06-13-2013 at 10:02 AM.