View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 01:07 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
I had a cat who loved to travel. One time to the vet was all it took to get her hooked. She would get into vehicles and leave without announcing her presence. One time it was a 3 hour drive before she made herself known. Went and got her and then she sneaked in with someone else- and preceded to have her kittens in their camper before we could go and get her. We finally decided that she liked traveling way to much and she went with a friend who had a camper- She is a QUEEN know.
Traveled with a cat to Alaska- He always tried to escape the vehicle. Crate him before getting out, or we would be playing catch the kitty when we stopped. That one hated to travel.
Go and see how it goes. Every cat is different.
Ha! Your kitty sounds like so much fun. My first kitty didn't mind the car at all. She loved going for burgers. I'd call her and say "let's go for burgers!!" She come running, tail up in the air, and wait for me to pick her up. I'd carry her to the car, and she'd ride on the console or the cargo cover in the back. I didn't even own a crate for her at the time, she was such a good traveler. Her last recreational ride in the car, she rode on the back deck in the Mustang to McDonalds for a burger. She ate 2/3 of a patty.

All of our kitties have been strictly indoor kitties, and don't seem to want to go outside, which I think will make this adjustment easier. Less escape attempts. They've never really wanted to see the outdoors.

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Why don't you try "camping" in the yard. Drive kitties around a little bit so they get to know the feel and then stay close to home in case things go wrong. You can abort the trip if stress gets too much. My DB and DSIL had to live with their old kitty for seven months in an RV. She adjusted OK.
I was thinking of doing that tonight. See part of the problem I'm trying to escape temporarily is bad neighbors. They like to party most weekends in the summer, and it's always outdoors. Loud music, screaming and yelling until all hours of the morning. We went over the one time to ask them to turn it down, and they threatened DH with physical violence. And after that, the police still took 1 week to even call me back. And no, it's not a bad neighborhood. It was really enjoyable til these people moved in about 3 years ago. I can probably get away with camping in the yard during the week, but weekends are becoming intolerable and this one's a long weekend, which promises to be worse. I will see if I can find somewhere, provided the overnight goes well, that we can go within 45 mins to an hour of home. The one kitty is fine with the truck, because of her vet visits. The other one hasn't been as far as this new vet, only to the one closer, so she's had less adjustment time. I will put them both in the truck when DH gets home and go for a bit of a drive.