Thread: Romantic acts
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 03:23 AM
star619

Maybe this won't seem romantic to most people, but it affirmed our relationship of 37 yrs. (at that time). I somehow wound up as the head of a Search Committee for our church. We interviewed candidates by mail. reviewing sermons and then chose 3 to interview in person. This was no small enterprise, either in terms of arrangements or money from the parish. After numerous meetings, we selected a candidate (first female priest for the parish), & made the presentation to the Vestry. The reaction was bizarre: lots of arguing, Biblical quoting out of context & even a resignation! I was devastated.
I went home & asked my non-church going, but spiritual & ethical, husband if he thought there was a valid reason to dismiss all women from consideration for the office. He said (as an engineer), "Well when I have to make a project that has not been done before, my first effort usually has flaws(?), but after consideration my second draft is always an improvement. I think that's true of men & women. Adam was a first draft, Eve was the improved version."
I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, but his heartfelt answer to a major decision I had to make made me love him all over again.
P.S. The female priest did become our parish priest, and to this date people in the congregation still refer to her as "the best pastor we ever had."