View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
moreland

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
I would love to know a little more about how you made them. Did you cut them in any way, are they whole and how big is the finished piece. I have a lot of ties and this one I really like. Any other info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
I think the finished pieces were probably 18" x 20-21 inches. I simply cut off 7/8 inch piece from the wide end of the tie. I left all the facings, etc in the ties. I put 2 ties together at an angle and sewed the angles (edges closest to the middle of the finished design.), then I cut off the left over ends even with the tie. Then I arranged three "sets" together to form the flower design. The stem is the small end of a tie--I looked for "silky" pieces for these so they would bend easily--i.e. had some bias in them. The butterflies/floral centers were some I had on hands. I used them to cover the center of the flowers. I used my applique/blanket stitch on the sewing machine to sew everything down. Oh, yes. I put together the back/batting/ and foundation first. I spray basted them together, then arranged the ties to make the flowers. I just used straight cut (2 1/2 inch wide) fabric strips for the bindings. Then I cut 4" pieces from the backs of the ties used in the flowers and made the hanging loops at the top. I just straight stitched them on (in the ditch of the binding.)
Good luck with your ties. My friend seemed very happy with the hangings.