Old 07-17-2013, 06:09 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Tips on how to get my daughter's attention back to sewing would be welcome, everyone. Only 10 but attention of a goldfish.
Small projects. It sounds like miriam's DGD has some good ideas. Yo-yos on simple drawstring bags are fun, too. Those of us with short attention do well if we have the feeling of accomplishment that comes with finishing which is why small projects work well. When I was teaching remedial reading, I transitioned students to chapter books by introducing them to collected short stories. Less threatening.[/QUOTE]

My youngest kid loved Louis L'Amour stories on tape. He would not read. Finally I got a book of short stories by L'Amour and read the first couple paragraphs then went to the bathroom. He could read. You bet the short stories in a book are a great transition. The trick is to find one that is interesting to the child.

I'm starting her out on paper - 3X5 cards we made our own dot to dot and home made mazes. Straight lines. Curvy lines. Sewing designs on paper bags is next. Then open the bag and put a little battery operated tea light inside. Books of dot to dot or mazes are also good. Anything to learn control which is hard for her. I think she would like to make some simple skirts some time. but I'd like to see some control first. She has a pretty short attention span, too. She wants to catch up with her big sister. Her big sister has a Singer Spartan and has sewed her own quilt already. She won a champion at the fair for a fat quarter tote bag so will be going to the State Fair in August. I think my little 8 year old is a bit afraid even with a needle guard. I think the hand crank will help her feel more confident and comfortable. Wilbur just wants to watch machine works. Miss L who is 6 wants to sew, too but doesn't like to listen to directions. She tries but forgets things. I think she had too much distraction that day.