View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 06:59 AM
SandyQuilter

Originally Posted by mvalley View Post
Help. I am making a quilt with each block being cut to 5 and 1/4 inch blocks. Then they have a design that is appliqued on them. My problem is that when I cut the background squares and put on the applique pieces the finished block no longer measures the 5 and 1/4 inch. What can I do. I have to totally disguard some the blocks they are way off. However, some of the others are just slightly off. My question -- can I just make slightly smaller seam allowances? I could use a paper template as the background and sew the blocks together that way so that the finished block will measure correctly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
This is your problem--the fabric is shifting when you applique. Turn your applique over and I'll bet that the fabric does not lay flat under the applique. You didn't say whether you're doing hand or machine applique. With hand-don't pinch the fabric too firmly or let the fabric slip forward when stitching. For machine-use a tear-away stabilizer under the background block. Here's a hint for both types of applique. Use Roxanne's Baste It glue--just several tiny dots will do--to hold the patch in place until appliqued.
SandyQuilter