Old 07-27-2013, 11:48 PM
plume

Hi Tammi,

Thanks so much again.

OK, the tension spring should drop to about 6 oClock when it's not resting on the little uh,... rest (or caught on the screw at about 7 or 8 Oclock)
--> fixed it, thanks!

You want to adjust the tension to make sense -before- you put the number dial on. It's counter intuitive, but you would adjust the tension to have the ever so slightest perceptible drag on the thread and then put the "0" on the knob there, and put the remaining 2 pieces on to hold the number dial there. Gee, I hope that makes sense.
--> It makes sense, absolutely. The problem I have with this, is that if I put the "0" in the correct position (slightest perceptible drag), then my stitches are perfect on "9" only. If I set this "9" position to read "4" or "5" instead on the dial, the "0" is then super tight and the discs become much harder to release on any dial number when the foot is up.
Aaargh. I think I should wait for new thread & needles before testing more. Right?

Also, the 401M I have has different parts for the upper tension than the American ones. I finally found some tutorials & images online for it:
http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...f-tension.html
If you search for "tension", you'll find many other posts on this blog with great close-up pictures, for the American model & different Singers too.

Please hug the queen & court jester for me, I miss my cat