View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 AM
romanojg

Reply to SingerSewer; Anita Goodesign has great designs and if you can find her classes as they go to different areas then that's also great. Also check to see when John Deere and Floriani offer classes in your area. Not only are their classes affordable, you'll learn a lot and get lots of free things and have the opportunity to buy things at great prices.

For organization I use my software that came with my machine. I had gotten one from Floriani last yr that was to just view your designs in one large folder. You save them in the folder with the orignal name and then they show up as icons and you don't have to remember what the name was because you can see all of your designs. The nice thing about this software besides seeing all of your designs as pics so you don't have to recall a name to pull it up because when you click on it, it will pull up the design but it also doesn't matter if you've gotten designs with the same name, it will still store them. This happens alot especially when you buy from different companies. I'm not currently using it and have decided to sell it because I found out my machines software will do the same thing so it's not needed. but it is an easy program to use and it's around a 100 new so really affordable.

When I download designs I first save them into an orders folder with the companies name. This is because if you ever want to reorder a design, it gets corrupt or whatever, you need to have the co name plus the original name of design. I don't rename them until I save them into another folder by catagory. Now I just don't rename them at all, I put them into folders by catagory as to what they are and then have subfolders with companies name so I know where I got them. This is also good if you need to redownload a thread chart or instructions from a site, you need the name. Some companies archive the designs after a while so if you don't have the design name you can't get it again. I save them all to my pc and then do a backup to 2 Cd's. In the future I'll get a portable hard drive and then I'll back them up to it and do a cd and with a copy on my laptop I should be covered. You'll be amazed at how fast the designs accumulate with all the free ones you can get, the ones on sale or just the ones you can resist. I also have a folder called Cd and that's where I save the orginal for CD's that I have purchased so that I'm sure of where Ineed to go to find them. Organizing them from the beginning is so much easier than trying to do it later and then keeping it updated is also a chore but worth it when you need to find something.