View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
If I were you I would completely get off all cotton threads to eliminate the lint issue. Switch to polyesters, at least until you are confident in all aspects of your machine.
You are welcome.

However there is no such thing as "my machine doesn't like...."

I urge you to educate yourself on threads. Superiorthreads.com has so much information. You should not limit yourself to any particular thread. I only suggested switching over to polyester UNTIL you learn all the ins and outs of your machine. At some point you will want to try different threads for different looks or you will get a client that absolutely does not want anything but cotton. Feel free to turn that client away or learn your machine better so you know what tweaks you need to do to utilize ANY thread. And use only good extra long staple cotton (less lint) when you do use it.

IMHO saying "my machine doesn't like..." is a cop out. Your machine doesn't know the difference.

Also Jamie Wallens video is not related to magnaglide bobbins. In fact his test doesn't work real well with a magnaglide because the magnet is causing a touch of resistance so you won't get the thread to come smoothly and easily out of the bobbin like he shows. There will be a touch of jerkiness to it as the magnet tries to grab.

There is no reason you can't perform the tests he does with a standard bobbin. The bobbin shouldn't be falling out of the bobbin case if you are just lifting it up off the palm of your hand by the thread. And it definitely won't come out when you lay it flat on your palm bobbin facing up. When the case is laying flat on your palm and you pull the thread how is the bobbin falling out, it can't possibly fall out. Is the thread coming smooth and easy and the bobbin turning and does the case stay put in the palm of your hand without moving? Not sure why you thought Jamie Wallen's video was only for magnaglide bobbins. It is not.