View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Lori S

I use LOTs of it. Yes there are some differences. First is the color it comes in clear and smoke. Use the smoke on dark colors it will reflect less light and be more "invisible". It comes in two types of material content. Nylon and polyester. The poly holds up better to heat. Superior threads sells a high heat monofilament.
Sometimes I have issues with the static build up and the thread wants to wrap around the spindle in my cone holder, once I figure out to put another spool under it to elevate the monofilament thread high enough so it can wrap , I stopped having that problem.
I do use regular bobbin thread most of the time , but can use it in the bobbin, just go slowly when winding, or you can stretch the thread just a bit.. and that will cause problems later in stitching.
I also use a smaller needle 70/10 as the thread is very fine and does not need a larger needle.
Not all manufactures thread will have the same tension requirements.. so test on sample fabrics , before working on your project.
Only under rare occasions will I use it for piecing, as the thread when piecing ( if tensions are correct) , should not show.