View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Here we call them Moonflowers. And yes they are poisonous BUT if you are that dumb to eat or otherwise try to get HIGH then you are just dumb. Rhubarb(leaf) is poisonous, foxglove, narcissus, ... the list goes on. That's why they are bitter so we know NOT to eat them. Enjoy the blooms and the fact they come back. For some reason mine did not winter over so I have to baby the one I have so I can get it to seed over for next year.
Adults know that! Remember when we used to suck the nectar out of flowers??????? When we were kids?????? I don't think leaves on a Datura, I think flowers and seeds! I don't like this thread. Let us wake up and smell the roses. A Datura is poison any way you cut it. And it is more enticing to children, also pets, rabbits. I don't give a flying fig how beautiful a flower is, if it is poisonous to children (adults should know better) then it doesn't belong in a garden, or behind a shed, or garage where people don't have total sight of a flower. Maybe a child thinks it is pretty and smells it and tastes it and brings it home to Mom. I didn't take a chance when my son and my grandchildren saw them, which my granddaughter saw one just this past week. I told her they were poisonous and to stay away from them, don't touch them, don't pick them. I get so upset with this thread, I could cry.