View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 05:09 AM
maviskw

[QUOTE=ckcowl;6253398]if your quilt is large- and your backing is seamed vertically - when it is rolled up on the take up rollers it builds in the center-layer upon layer upon layer-building bulk 4-layers at a time-where there is only one layer on the rest of the backing- causing (baggy-saggy) outside edges- when the backing is pieced horizontally - when you load it & roll it- the seam lays nice & flat-straight along the bar- no bulky build up in the center of the backing- it does not make a huge difference when the quilts are fairly small- but the larger it is the more build up bulk since with each turn of the bar is another 4 layers of fabric in the center.....QUOTE]

I don't understand the 4 layers of fabric. If you press the seams to one side, that gives you 2 extra layers of fabric. And if you press the seam open, you would have only one extra layer. If your fabric is quilting cotton, I would think this little bit would disappear into the batting. And as long-armers have said on this thread, they have not really had a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.