View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by diajo View Post
thank you! yes, that is the part number, any particular reason?
The reason I was asking is the chainstitch models (German only as best I know at this point) have a different bobbin case 503602. The 421 doesn't chain, it's the only difference (again that I know of) between the 431 and the 421. With the right plate, a guide that I think could be fabricated, and the other bobbin case, I think you could turn the 421 into the 431...

Originally Posted by diajo View Post
I won the second machine, the 677g. I found a manual on line and guess what, it chainstitches too. I may keep this one set up to chainstitch Here's hoping it gets though transport unscathed
Yeah!! Good luck! How long til it arrives?

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Joe: are these Singers rare and hard to find?
They're hard to find in North America. Someone on QB said that there were problems bringing the Open arm machines into The US for some sort of reason - patents or something, so the US got very very few if any when theese would have been new. Canada would have gotten "more". I know an OSMG and his wife sews on a 421G. I have a 431G (had 2), and have had up to 3 411Gs (down to 1), all of which I've come across in the last year. I get the impression that it would be harder to come across that many in one area of the states in that time frame though. But, these are 50+ year old machines. Some of them are ...uh... about to start out lasting their original owners, and so few people really sew anymore compared to 50 years ago, they're going to start being seen.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 08-29-2013 at 08:48 AM.