Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM
dollycaswell

I am on a really tight budget and would prefer to use money for fabric and not for the storage of that fabric. So I get the long pieces of cardboard that the fabric is originally wrapped on, and cut them about eight, or eight and a half inches long (I can usually get 4 per) and they are already about 5 or 6 inches wide. Then I fold my fabric - folded edge to selvage edge and wrap it around those cardboard pieces and put it on my shelves just like you would a book. It's very easy to get to, I can see everything I have, the colors are beautiful and I don't have to pull anything out from under something else. They are all side by side like a row of books. I've been doing this for several years now and although they get a little dust on the edges if I don't use that particular piece of fabric for a while, I have not noticed fading from windows or light. The fabric stores are happy to get rid of them and Im being eco-friendly using something that might otherwise go into a landfill. Works for me, even though it's not very high tech!