View Single Post
Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I never put labels on my quilts. I just don't think it's important 100 years from now to know who made them. I'm only talking about me - I'm not advocating this for anyone else. It's not that I make ugly quilts, I don't. They are as nice as most I have seen here and nicer than some and not as nice as others. It just seems like arrogance to me to say "I made this."
It's actually very important 100 years from now. There are Quilt Documentation Programs in almost every state now and all those records and pictures will eventually be fed into the MSU Quilt Index for people like us to use as a reference when someone asks "do you know what pattern this is?" http://www.quiltindex.org/

Someone generations from now will want to know who made the quilt they have inherited, purchased, or rescued and when it was made. How many times has someone here posted that they wished the vintage quilt they got at the flea market had a label on it? So, yes, it's important to label them even if they're staying home with you. And no, it's not arrogant at all to sign your work, but you could just use your initials and the date if that's more comfortable.

Last edited by ghostrider; 09-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.