Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 AM
oregongirl

you guys are talking about my current issue! i'll bump this up and see if anyone can help me.

i bought a Singer Buttonholer #160506 in the green plastic case (and yikes, i now need to wash my hands in case those templates are lead!) and am trying to figure out how it works. i have the complete set, including the instruction book, but i've never seen one work and wonder if i'm just confused about it. the published date on the booklet is 1948.

My favorite machine is my 1961 503a slant-o-matic, which does zig-zag. i've made buttonholes on it before but wanted to try the new toy i picked up at the antique fair a couple of weeks ago. so i tried to put it on - everything fits except the slant is a problem and it won't work. the back of the attachment rests on the bed while the presser foot is raised. i'm guessing it needs a straight shank.

Then i thought maybe it would work on one of my other machines. i have a 66, 15-91 and a featherweight, between 1920's and 50's. All of them have only a straight stitch hole in the plate, though, and nothing to switch on the machine to make it ZZ. Do you need a zig-zag machine to use the attachment or do they work on a straight stitch machine? I was thinking you need a ZZ, but maybe not?