View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Scuddles

Hello everyone, I want to thank all of you for the information you had given me about pre washing and steam. I never completed a quilt yet. I had my eye on the double hour glass. So I went to JoAnns fabric and bought all my fabric. I washed everything in cold water, dried and pressed. I started cutting out my strips, my sewing machine is a Brother and I started sewing. I then put each block on my flannel wall, to see if I liked it that way. Lets just say I have started a scrap pile. I started crying, ( it has to be hormones, I cry at everything ) My husband felt so bad, he went out and bought me a Singer Fashion mate machine. This time I wanted to make a Rail Fence. I saw on a web site, a June Taylor a Shape, Cut,Pro mat. I love it, every newbie should buy it. So I cut my strips and sewed sewn (however you spell it, lol ) the strips together. I did not know you are supposed to make sure the stitches lock so after all that, I noticed the stitches didn't lock. I changed the tension, I threaded the machine over and the bobbin over. So a friend came over to look at it and said the machine was a lemon. Once again the tears came and my scrap pile got bigger. My hubby took it back and took me to Joanne's fabric and bought me a Husqvarna Viking. I thought you had to order it on line, but they had them right in the store. He bought me the machine and she showed me a bunch of stuff and told me there are free classes, I forgot the date but it's on the calender. I still want to make the Rail Fence quilt. I bought fabric online and I am waiting and I haven't received it yet. Last night I was getting my stuff all together so all I would need would be the fabric. I was changing the blade in my rotary cutter and I sliced the tip of my finger. Again the tears came, not from hormones There was blood everywhere, he called my neighbor who is a nurse to see if I would need stitches. I had a tetnus shot 3 years ago and they are good for 10 years. She said no, but she wrapped me up good and she put these little rubber thing on my finger. I can't take the site of blood so I was light headed and nauseous. My husband took out about 3 or 4 lysol wipes to clean it all. Of course it would have to happen on my right hand, the hand I use. OMG, I didn't realize how long my letter was. Oh well, I have to start buying fabric once again. If anyone knows where there are beginners quilt patterns, Could you please send me the link. I already love Jenny and all of her great tutorials.
Happy Quilting, Lori