Thread: Fly, Fly Away
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Ps 150

Default Fly, Fly Away

DH's aunt was diagnosed with cancer in January and after treatment it was found that it had metastasized in her brain. Her mother and brother, DH's grandmother and uncle have both passed in this past year, so, needless to say, it's been a very rough year on the family and especially her. When she asked me to make her a bed-sized butterfly quilt in yellows and blacks, in memory of her late mother and brother, I thought of this quilt.

I used variegated yellow thread to do stippling within the wings, black thread to do SID around the black pinwheels in both the wings and outside accent blocks and I did a FMQ cable design in the butterfly's body. To quilt the background, I used a very pale yellow quilting thread and did stippling, but incorporated hidden butterflies in the stippling, using about 10 different butterfly designs to add interest. In the black border I did another FMQ cable design. To make the quilt longer, I just added another strip of background fabric to the top and bottom of the pinwheel border.
Attached Thumbnails butterfly-quilt-1.jpg   butterfly-quilt-2.jpg   butterfly-quilt-3.jpg   butterfly-quilt-4.jpg   butterfly-quilt-5.jpg  

butterfly-quilt-6.jpg   butterfly-quilt-7.jpg   butterfly-quilt-9.jpg   butterfly-quilt-10.jpg