View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I do not allow any of my furkids in either of my sewing rooms. thankfully they are both bedrooms with a door that can be shut. The LA room goes without saying as I have client quilts in there. Any breach is shortlived and said feline is unceremoniously ushered out immediately (much to their disgust!). That door is always closed.

My regular sewing room is also my guest room so again, don't want it full of cat hair. But not only that, there is way too many things that are dangerous to a cat, especially thread. If they ingest thread it could be fatal and will result in a costly surgery. Luckily, none of my current crew has any interest but why take a chance on something that is easily preventable.

When I bind or hand quilt, I am in the living room and the WIP is full of cat hair in no time flat. My manager of quality control insists on sleeping on my lap under the WIP while I am working on it. (of course, how else could he ensure that said WIP is up to his high standards of quilty comfort?) I have used the following and they all work well:
A damp washcloth
A rubber glove or gardening glove with the little rubber knubs all over it
Sticky tape roller
Velvet brush
These I use for WIPS and the project gets swiped with every sewing session. But once the quilt is completed I lay it out on my kitchen table or better yet bring it to work and lay out on the conference room table and use contact paper, the kind you use to line shelves with. I use a big piece of it, lay it out on the quilt, rub it and lift. Usually it is ineffective after the second lift, then a new piece is needed. I cover a lot of surface area at a time with contact paper and it is more cost effective than the sticky tape rollers.

I have also heard tossing in the dryer with a damp towel removes quite a bit as well.