Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM
charp

Default What is the scoop with Joannes fabric vs QSQ?

I started quilting 13 years ago. I was teaching myself with phone tutorials from my sister and Aunt. I shopped at Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby, and Joannes.

When I moved back to my home town, my Aunt told me that Joannes fabric was of an inferior quality, and that I should not use it. I was on a budget, and opted for what I could afford for learning, and continued to shop sales and coupons at Joanns.

After having kids, I didn't have time to sew, and have just started getting back to quilting after about a 6 year break. I notice that the quilts I made with Joann fabric are not holding up. The stiching is great, but some of the fabrics are disintegrating away. With all the work put into a quilt, I'd like them to last longer, so I started buying sale fabric at quilt shops.

When I go to Joanns now, I notice that the fabric is not really priced cheaper than the quilt shop stuff I am getting. The items in the quilt section are $9 to $11 a yard. Have they made a change in quality? They don't seem to carry the designers that the quilt shops have; all the lables are "produced for Joanns fabrics".

So, my question is, what is the deal with Joann Fabric currently? Have they started to carry better quality stuff, or is it just more expensive than before? Frankly, I try to only buy sale stuff form the online quilt shops, so I get god deals anyway, but to not have to pay shipping, and to not have to wait, would be great!