View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 AM
needlefruit

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Here in Ca. The going rate is $0.015/sq in. (Goes higher for custom, difficult pattern, heavy density.)(Recently I had a customer who insisted on telling me all her woes, twice, & it was custom. When I figured she took up 2 hours of my time & mental capacity to whine and a rush job; she got charged $0.025/sq in. I also had to square up the back and pick up/deliver it 1 hr drive ea way from my work location. I don't really want her back as a custmer.) Anyway for 11000 sq in its $165. I think Ca is one of the most expensive states to live in. Prices here are probably high.
The other consideration is the LAQ reputation. For several of the LAQ in an area near here, there's a 3-6 mo wait; they can charge a little extra.
Another consideration is if it's a rush job. There may be an extra charge.
If the LAQ needs to square up and/or press the back or front there might be an extra charge. If this is needed, I'll offer the customer the use of my equipment for her to do it herself.
Thought of something else. If you go to the LAQ or she must deliver to you: might consider a delivery charge.

This is business, not charity. Sometimes there's more to the story.
ABSOLUTELY, Petthefabric---I, too, am a LAQ, and although the number of square inches and the density/type of quilting are the BASIS of the charge, there are many more considerations. A well-pieced, well-pressed, squared up top with a correctly sized, well-pressed backing that can be mounted with no pains is a LAQ's dream. Anything less than that HAS to carry extra charge, or the LAQ finds himself/herself doing labor intensive, frustrating work for a little of nothing! Been there; ain't going back! As you said, this is a business, not a charity.