Old 10-05-2013, 06:43 AM
carolstickelmaier

I agree with Zinna and Ghostrider. I too was a nurse in a home and many of the residents loved dolls and coloring books...But be careful because when the state inspectors came in we were wrote up for "demeaning the residents". The inspectors had no idea of what the elderly and dementia residents could understand or wanted. We tried to tell them that this is what they enjoyed and understood but were told to remove the "childish" items from them. Some became very upset and could not understand why we would do such a thing as they had done nothing wrong. I just wanted to say to them that "what goes around comes around" and they would find out when they were in our residents shoes so to speak! Oh! I used to get so upset but when the state left gradually the residents were given back their belongings. We also made vests to wear and made sure the fabric design meant something to each person. Make them at least one to two sizes larger than they wear so they are easy to get off and on. Even the men wanted one. Don't hesitate and you can always ask on our board for help or let people you know what you need. There is always someone wanting to help but don't know how or where to look.