Thread: I quit smoking!
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM
DaylilyDawn

I am so proud for you! My son was a victim of 2nd hand smoke and I don't smoke . I worked in an area where my coworkers and boss were all chain smokers. I was pregnant and had to breathe the smoke in the office I worked in. My theory that 2nd hand smoke caused his medical problems was confirmed when I found a study done in Europe where a DR had exposed pregnant rats to 2nd hand smoke and the rat babies were born with birth defects and kidney disease . My son weighed only 3lbs 7 1/2 oz when he was born and he was a full term baby. He also had two birth defects that had to be corrected by surgery before he was 4 and 5. His chest was caved in until it looked as deep as the grand canyon. It would not allow his lungs to expand enough to fully oxygenate his blood so he always had a blue tinge to his fingernail beds and around his nose and mouth. He was also born with kidney disease. His kidneys lasted until he was in his early 20s. Then one kidney died and the other could not handle the overload of work and he went into kidney failure and almost died in his sleep. On Sept. 2, 2000 he received a kidney transplant that lasted until this Sept. A child coughed in his face one day a work and infected my son with an upper respiratory infection that was so severe he was in the hospital for two weeks with a breathing tube in his throat and had been sedated for one week so his body could rest. His coughing had made him throw up and he would cough so hard he could not breathe, so his oxygen levels were dropping dangerously low. In the hospital they discovered that he was in rejection of the kidney . So he is back on dialysis and will be placing his name back on the Organ Transplant Waiting list. So you see what second hand smoke can do to one person just think of all the children exposed to cigarette smoke. After he was born and I was pregnant with my daughter, I made my father put out any cigarette he was smoking around me I stayed away from smokers if I could and my daughter was a healthy baby no problems. She weighed 6 lbs 11 1/2 ozs and was 21 inches long. My son was only 5 inches longer than a Barbie doll