View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Thanks, Grant! I thought I'd just put in this reply to add a little emphasis on this important information in case anyone missed it! When I saw what the plug looked like on mine I shuddered to realize that the guy who sold it had plugged it in and run it like that. Couldn't these iron machines conduct electricity right through the body of them?

Miriam, I agree with you about the discussion of what we paid. I had the unpleasant experience of donating a Singer Red Eye head to my guild's fundraising garage sale because it needed more work than I felt up to at the time, and when I mentioned what I'd paid for it (because I wanted them to get the best possible value out of it without asking way too much), the person organizing the sale assured me that I'd paid too much, and that they wouldn't be able to get that much for it. I don't know what they asked, but it disappeared within the first 10 minutes of the sale!

A thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and there are a lot of factors that go into it. If you're happy to get something at whatever price, then that was the right price for you, and it's not nice to rain on someone's parade by saying they paid too much. There's always someone who got one like it for less, but it proves nothing, except they were luckier one time.

That said, I've noticed that on this board, what people usually have to say about someone else's lucky find is: "I'm happy for you!" If it's a problem here, I haven't seen it. Just the same, maybe it unnecessarily causes some disappointment to read about someone getting the same thing for less.
Thank you - you put it into words.