Thread: Mystery Quilts
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
peaceandjoy

Years ago, I did Gems in the Rough on another board; it was designed by Merry Meyhem. Relatively easy, big chunky pieces, which I neither love nor hate.

Now I do Bonnie Hunter's every year. Sometimes I use her palette (Carolina Christmas), other times I don't. The last couple she has suggested bright colors, which I do not have in my crayon box. Last year, I did Easy Street in browns and reds with aqua accents. It's my avatar pic. This year, I am using fall colors and will call it Autumnal Solstice. There is a thread in the links forum; I think I posted my fabrics there.

I think if you are following a designer whose patterns you generally like, you will be all set. If you don't have that info, start breaking down what you do have.

If a mystery is a day long (as in the about.com site), chances are it's going to be easy with big pieces. Look at how much fabric you'll be using. When Bonnie put her colors out last year, one color called for significantly less yardage - so I knew that would be my "accent" color, with the two other colors that I was using (prefer and have more of in my stash) beign the main fabrics. At LQS, I'll asl for some of the first cutting measurements. It's more often than not big, chunky pieces - so I know I won't care for it.

Waiting until it's over to start isn't necessarily a bad idea - but then it's not a mystery!

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 11-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.