View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
vjc

Default Material feedsacks

Thank you for sharing your story about the material feedsacks. I am 59 now and clearly remember my dad going to the feed store and bringing home feed for the cows in material feedsacks. My mom would make my 2 sisters and 8 blouses and depresses from them. My mom just passed away June 21, 2012 and after going through the house, she still had folded material feedsacks neatly put away. A "jewel"!!! Memories of long ago to cherish in my heart for years. An item the new generation will never comprehend the worth of a material feedsack.

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
My DMIL passed several years ago - she lived in the old family homestead - built in the late 1800s. After she passed, we let our son and his wife live in the house. When they decided to move out, we had to do some serious cleaning out of all the old furniture and things. In a cedar chest in the attic, I found several quilt tops - and these wonderful feed sacks... I remember my grandmother talking about how long it would take my grandpa to pick up chicken feed because he would search for the prettiest feed sacks so she could make dresses for my Mom and aunts. These had to have belonged to my husband's grandma Minnie....who passed back in 1976 !! The fabrics and the quilt tops - which I plan to finish - look brand new. I feel like I have been given a most wonderful gift !!! Right now i'm trying to find a Christmas themed wall hanging that would highlight the red and green fabric. Anyway....thought some of you ladies who know about [ATTACH=CONFIG]445155[/ATTACH]feed sacks would appreciate the story.