Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
mhollifiel

Default Old December 26th tradition "Joe Pie Day"

When my boys were small, I read about celebrating "Jack Horner Pie Day" on the day following Christmas Day in a brief suggestion by a reader in one of those grocery store women's magazines. The purpose of this tradition is to combat that pitiful "Is that all there is until next year?" question that little ones invariably say when the last present is opened. One of my boys ALWAYS asked this and the quick response was, "NO, remember Jack Horner Pie?" So it wasn't over yet. Yippee!
Here's what I would do. Prepare a centerpiece for the table of a stack of gifts, one for each person in the family who will be present the day AFTER Christmas. This centerpiece was on the table most of December, always at least two weeks ahead and tantalizing the family at every mealtime. Great way to encourage eating at the table. The writer suggested running a ribbon from the present to that person's place but I never did that. I just put a stick on label with the recipient's name on the bottom of the gift and a nice big bow on just the top one. I also wrapped them in the same paper or just used two complimentary wraps. These gifts were sometimes unexpected add-ons to gifts opened the day before, sometimes something extra asked for but "saved" as a later surprise, but mostly just a little something fun. I almost always had former students home for the holidays dropping by so I kept a few generic presents wrapped in the same paper with a blank label on the back in case they dropped by at mealtime on the 26th. They could not believe there was a present for them in the pile! Magic!
My mother and dad spent most of their Christmases with us while they were living and my boys were small. My mother made the statement that she loved Christmas at my house because it just went on and on. She especially loved the "Joe Pie Day" part which is the name she gave it and my kids quickly picked it up.
We did stretch it out, I guess. Big Christmas Dinner early on Christmas Eve, followed by a walk through McAdenville, NC's Christmas light display, followed by midnight communion in a local church. No problem getting the kids to sleep, they were worn out! Then Christmas: opening gifts, playing with gifts and eating the leftovers! NO COOKING! And, finally Joe Pie Day. No one ever asked if that was all there was after "Joe Pie Day" so I guess they weren't so disappointed to wait for a year for our Christmas to come again. Not as much trouble as you might think but so worth it!