View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 AM
ragquilter

If you can rent a POD to store things while you are purging. They deliver and will rent it to you by the month and then move it to your new location if you want. They as others have said, go through each room. I sold all my big wood furniture and lots of other stuff I thought I couldn't be without. Turns out I can live without them. I only buy furniture that I can move and really love, things that fold up. I call it suv friendly living. I have a plastic cabinet from Lowes's (that is for a garage or outside) but it is light and sturdy, for my stash. I sold 3 sewing machines in cabinets and still kept 3, but all portable. I bought a like wooded desk for my sewing table, it is sturdy. Look for mission style furniture. Hire someone who does estate sales (interview several and pick the one you are most comfortable with) you will get more money than having yard sales, and they handle everything. Use the money to buy furniture that is appropriate for your new home. Don't look at the rooms in your new home in the traditional way, look at each room in the way that you will use them every day. It will be painful at first but when you are done, you will be amazed how much lighter you feel. "I have never saw a U-Haul following a hearse" is a quote I read somewhere that really sticks in my mind.