View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
RST

"I am curious, based on comments about the importance of buying this pattern, where the difference is between making a quilt you see in a picture, on pinterest, etc, and making the quilt we're talking about here from the picture. It would seem like the same thing, yes? Don't all of you have big files of online pictures? Just curious."

I share your curiosity. Some patterns are so easy to execute that it boggles the mind that there actually is a pattern. And some patterns are so minimal and lacking in information, it further boggles the mind that they are called a pattern. When the designer gives very clear instruction, has an innovative method, lists yardages for for various sizes, includes tips and suggestions for fabric selection and quilting -- then yes, a pattern is a wonderful thing, and I buy my share.

But when it's a very obvious and basic piecing, and I'm honestly going to make it using methods I prefer and in a size that suits my needs, and I can construct a similar block without even measuring or drafting on paper-- sorry, not going to do it. That just gets silly.

There are etsy sellers who apparently believe that they invented a ninepatch and who want to sell you their pattern for making them. And furthermore, they expect you to credit them as inventor, each and every time you make a nine patch block. I actually had one of them contact me on pinterest to chastise me for not crediting her for the quilt I posted. Amusingly, I made the quilt in question before she was in kindergarten, which kind of took the wind out of her sails.