Thread: beginner
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
ktbb

seems like the vintage folks have taken over the conversation - they do get wrapped up in their world, she said with a grin!

robynanne, MElizabeth has a good answer to your question - You need to decide what features you want on a sewing machine and what your purse will allow for expenditures. On this board, it appears to me that quilters have all types of machines. As a beginner quilter, I suggest you look for a machine with a good straight seam - surprisingly enough, straight seams on some machines look more like narrow zigzags sometimes. Ability to drop the feed dogs and permit you to do free motion stitching is a great advantage for me and many other quilters....but there are tricks to use for machines that don't have this capability. Third - if you have choices - look for the machine with the largest throat. and last and to me most important , make sure you like your dealer - they can do amazing things for you if you have a good relationship.

I personally have a newer machine that I use for my work - tho I love the vintage ones and have a few.

Ro's answer about purchasing from a dealer vs online or a discount or big box store is correct - with a dealer you can take issues to them instead of shipping the machine off.

My personal experience is that not all newer machines are made of plastic - there are many on the market that will work very well for you - you might go to a dealer to try out some machines, Bring some of your own fabric and do the kinds of things you'd do at home...don't just let them demo the machine for you. Dealerships have personalities - if you find one that won't let you try it yourself, they may not be the shop to purchase from...if you have options. and used machines from a dealer can give you what you need at a lower price than a new machine.

Let us all know what you decide to do.