View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
RST

One thing that I find interesting as a quilter is that I like to work with my own favorite colors -- things that are pleasing to my tastes. But recipients of quilts I gift are often far more attuned to the mass-market and the trends there. Consequently, quilts that I've made in trendy color schemes (yellow and gray, or aqua, pink, and red) get a lot of attention and are more appealing to a wider group than combos that are my favorites. Also, when you make a quilt for home decor use, it's nice to have it work well with dominant colors. With so many silver and gray neutrals in home decor, those warm beiges and creams that many quilters still gravitate to just don't work out so well.

You know that in about a month we're going to be tempted to wail about lovingly-crafted, beautiful quilts we slaved over given to under-appreciative loved ones who just keep it in the closet. I think that sometimes the less than whole hearted reception is because we're being stubborn about what colors we like, refusing to go with trends, doing our own thing. Obviously, a quilt is made to last longer than the color of the year and you don't want to make something that is "so 2014", but the thing is -- color of the year affects the sheet available on the market, the rugs, the paint colors, the curtains, even what "looks right" to people who are in that phase of life where they are buying and creating their homes.

I won't lie. I don't like orchid, and I probably won't use much of it in my quilting. But I will keep it in mind that this is a trend, and I'll probably make more quilts and pillows and such that will coordinate or blend well with good old radiant orchid.