Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
My son works in retail and he wears black chino pants and they keep ripping at the knees. I've tried the iron on patches, then one on each side, but they either wear off or wash off.

Any ideas how I can sew them on without making them look like a raggedy patch? Should I just buy similar fabric and try to sew around the edge?
I don't have a sewing idea, but I do have a suggestion that may help. My father tore the knees out of every pair of work pants he ever wore until I took a sewing class in college and learned that the reason this happens is usually muscular thighs,which my father had and I am guessing your son may also. if I am right, tell him to grab his pant leg just above the knee, and pull them up a little before he squats down. Also, when he gets a new pair, you can sew in a gusset in the crotch area so that he has more room for body movement. The gusset should be about 4-5 inches wide,and about 6-7 inches long, cut in a long diamond shape. Go to your nearest store that carries men's durable work pants, most of them have the added gusset, to get the idea of what to do. Basically- open the crotch seam, add the gusset to one side, and then the other when you close the crotch seam. Problem prevented! Clear as mud right?