Thread: hi from Mass
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM
orangeroom

Heather, welcome to the QB! Also welcome to the wonderful world of quilting/sewing/piecing. First place to start off, in my honest opinion, would be a LQS (local quilt shop). They usually have classes for beginners. Their fabric is going to be a bit more expensive than a JoAnn Fabric's, but well worth it, if you can afford it. If not and you want to purchase all your fabric from a JoAnn's and take a class at a LQS, then you do that. My dh (dear/damn husband) saw what I was trying to do and said "You need professional help." So I took a class, Quilting 101, where we made a double irish chain. Lots of seams to butt. You get really good at them when you have to make so many!

I started off purchasing a rotary cutter/ 18x~23" cutting mat and a 6" width ruler. They are sold as a set at JoAnn's...and usually go on sale or you can use a coupon. Regularly, I think ~$45. That is a good starter set. I didn't upgrade to a 33x58" mat until much later. Love the openness that offers me. I use that on an old kitchen table I picked up from a garage sale for $20. Perfect size for it.

Good luck and welcome from central (northern) NY state!