Old 12-29-2013, 10:47 AM
margecam52

Diamonds and setting triangles/corners are some of the more difficult items of making a quilt. Try this...make a set of 8 star sections, but only use 4 diamonds in each star section. Instead of just cutting the diamonds, make a template of plastic (I use flat lids from margarine tubs). Make the diamond shapes the exact finished size. You will add seam allowance when you cut the fabric out.

Lay the template onto the fabric (this is a sample, so don't fret on color/pattern) and trace &b make sure to go at least 1/2" beyond each line, so end of each stitching line crosses the next (this tells you the exact place to stop stitching)..make sure to leave at least 1/2" between each traced piece, as the lines will be your stitching lines. trace a total of 32 diamonds (I'd use 2 different color fabrics, just in case you like the resulting star). Size of the template at this point also does not matter. I've made them with from 3" long diamonds to 24" long diamonds....just want all diamonds from the same template.
Cut out the pieces, leaving about 1/4" or more as your seam allowance. Seam allowance size is not real important in this little lesson...as the lines you drew are your stitching lines...but try to keep them as close to 1/4" as you can, so you won't have to trim later.

Now take the first diamond and place another (in your pic, it would be a brown print and a green print)...lay them right sides together, matching the exact spots that the lines cross...pin there. Your diamond ends will have "dog ears" sticking out about 1/4" on each end...that's what you want...
Start stitching in the center of the "V" that forms. That should put you right on the line you have drawn. Stop and start at the exact spot the lines meet at. Press. Now repeat using a green and then another brown (using your colors in the pic)...so you have two sets of diamonds sewn...and then line them up so the two browns are the top and bottom, and the greens are the sides. You will again line up the places the lines cross & stitch in the "V" formed.

Make 8 of these sections and join them...making sure to match the spots where the lines cross..and don't sew past those spots (this leaves the seam allowances open...so the are easier to line up. If you do happen to sew past where the lines cross, pick those stitches out with a pin after you sew the pieces. Leave the little 1/4" tails of thread for now. Once you have the 8 sets of diamonds sewn (like the large star you made)...press all seams again...and lay that star out on a large piece of freezer paper...trace the star (stay as close to the star shape as you can) open areas to get your triangles and squares. trim the freezer paper squares and triangles (you only need one of each)...this will be the template for cutting the insets. Again, the line you draw is the stitching line...so leave 1/2" or more between each tracing...and remember to go out at least 1/2" past each corner end...so you get the crossed seam lines. Match the points of the triangle seam with the points on the star where the lines cross. Sew from inside to the outside edge..repeat for the other side (don't think "Y" seams...just do one seam at a time). Do the same for the corners.

If you stay on the lines & you match where each of the drawn seam lines cross...your stars should come out as close to perfect as you can get.

Originally Posted by lb70542 View Post
This is my first and last pieced diamond star pattern.. what have I done wrong?this is the most awful quilting have ever made. I'm embarrassed to post a pic but that's the only way y'all can tell me where I went wrong.
Thank you all for your time looking
loretta