View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
MacThayer

Hi Dorothy! Your quilt top is gorgeous! I didn't do that well with my first quilt top ! Most people don't. Good for you! As for the batting, I'm thinking you're going to want something that drapes well. I often use Hobbs 80/20, which is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I like the way it drapes. There are also some polyester battings and wool battings that really drape nicely.

I'm going to step out on a limb here and suggest that you have it long arm quilted. An experienced long arm quilter can give you excellent advice on the batting. They can also do a nice quilting, and this seems to be screaming out for nice quilting. I'd love to see a rose motif quilted over the strips in the center, and something else over the roses on the edge. I think that would compliment your quilt nicely! A lot of people will want you to quilt it yourself, and perhaps you can, I don't know that. But, personally speaking, I wouldn't use such a beautiful top to practice my FMQ for the first time. I'd practice on left-over material until I could do a good stitch. FMQ is a separate skill in itself, and some people take to it nicely while others continue to struggle with it. So -- not knowing what your talents are for FMQ as yet - I'd let a professional help me with that part. IMHO. I had my first few quilt tops done professionally, and I'm not sorry. Now I pretty much do it on my home machine, except if I want something really fancy, or it's a King size.

Good luck with your beautiful quilt! Hope to see it posted after it's been quilted!