Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
oxonchris

Default New to this

My 12yr old daughter has always had an interest in sewing and her secondary school is the only one in the area that still teaches textiles. So over Christmas to stop her from becoming too reliant on her new technology Santa bought her I arranged for a loan of granny's 185k handcrank.

Well she had fun run running stitches through odd bit of material so that got me thinking ad over the holidays rescued this from a local charity shop.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455371[/ATTACH]

I started to fiddle around and try to find out what make it was and have got as far as it being about 1900 ish.

So I needed to get her a working machine, so off to e-bay I went. To cut a long story short I end up with a 1937 Singer 99k in a carry case

[ATTACH=CONFIG]455372[/ATTACH]

Result being one happy daughter but also during this process we also saw a Singer 66 on a treadle base, so I went to view it, it certainly needs TLC and when I bought it didn't turn.

This is what I came home with.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455373[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]455374[/ATTACH]

So I spent £30 on the 99k and £35 on the 66. The wife and I have had a fantastic time slowly pulling apart the 66 and cleaning bits and thanks to this site http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ I have been able to get her moving again. I just need to wait for the backclamp foot to arrive from the USA from and e-bay seller and I should be on to the next step of making it stitch again.
Attached Thumbnails side-1.jpg   99k.jpg   66-treadle.jpg   66.jpg